Summer is right around the corner and it will be the perfect time for road trips near and far! I’ve driven across the country as well as up and down the east coast countless times, and had not been prepared with healthy food options. It’s easy to forgo your usual diet and rely on fast food when on the go, but you will end up feeling sluggish and completely off track with your healthy lifestyle. Here are some tips to keep you on track:
- Bring a cooler filled with healthy snacks, meals and beverages (keep reading for ideas!).
- Pack trail mix loaded with heart healthy, protein packed nuts as well as dried fruit to keep your energy steady for hours.
- Purchase pre-made salads, complete with light dressing, protein from chicken, nuts or cheese and silverware included.
- Fruit cups packed in water or 100% juice are a great way to get in your 2-2½ cups of daily recommended fruit intake. Of course fresh fruit like bananas, apples, pears and grapes are a fantastic option too!
- Water bottles filled half way with water and frozen can be used to keep your items cool and can be filled with water, etc, to keep your beverage cold for hours. Refill at rest areas.
- Pack a loaf of bread, deli meat and condiments for sandwiches to feed a car full of people inexpensively.
- Pre-make popcorn at home and store in sandwich bags for an easy whole grain snack.
- Bring tubes of yogurt that have been frozen and cheese sticks to get your dairy servings during the ride.
- If you stop at a drive thru- choose salads, grilled chicken sandwiches, fruit and unsweet tea to stay on track with a healthy diet.
- If you crave a sweet treat- bring hard candies or small individually wrapped dark chocolates and practice portion control. If it’s at the drive thru- choose a fruit smoothie with no sugar added!