This Peanut Chicken Grain Bowl was heavily inspired by my Easy Veggie Stir Fry Noodles. Savory peanut, garlic, ginger, and salt flavors are a common craving of mine and can be easily created home, which saves calories, sodium, and money! Similar my Spicy Tuna Bowl, this bowl provides an entire balanced meal that is full of veggies, fiber, protein, and vitamins.
It can be frustrating finding a delicious looking recipe, only to find that you need a million different ingredients that you don’t have. That can lead to an extra trip to the store and money money spent. For this recipe, the peanut sauce from my stir fry is used because it was so easy and delicious. Plus, it includes simple pantry items, including soy sauce, peanut butter, and sriracha sauce (but you can use any spicy sauce you have on hand). This time, the honey was omitted because of the sweet kick of flavor from the pineapple and it turned out perfect! The sriracha also gives just enough spice, which you can always add more on top if you prefer.
Easy Veggie Stir Fry Noodles
Spicy Tuna Bowl
Add a Variety of Veggies
This Peanut Chicken Grain Bowl has a bit unusual veggies just for creativity and color. Just look at how pretty it is! Like I said, the pineapple give such a great sweet and tart flavor that goes great with the spice of the sauce. The shredded cabbage and carrots are easy add ons that blend well in bowls and salads. The red pepper gives a great, crisp crunch and edamame is another savory protein source. Feel free to customize to your preference, or how I usually do, just use whatever you have.
Keep Things Simple
In all, this Peanut Chicken Grain bowl has minimal prep and minimum cooking time. Save time by pre cutting the pineapple and red pepper and making the sauce ahead of time. You can also have brown rice batch cooked and frozen, then thawed out when needed. Quinoa can also be used in place of brown rice if you prefer.
Peanut Chicken Grain Bowl
By Lisa Kay, MS, RD
Makes 4 Servings
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp. ground ginger
1 c. brown rice, uncooked
1 c. cooked edamame, shelled
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 c. shredded carrots
1 c. diced pineapple
1 c. shredded cabbage
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
Easy Peanut Sauce
2 T lite soy sauce
2 T peanut butter (try our Homemade Peanut Butter)
⅓ c rice vinegar
1 T sriracha sauce
- In a medium pot, cook brown rice in 2 cups of water. Once boiling, turn heat down to low, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, cut chicken breast into 1” cubes. Heat a medium nonstick saucepan on medium-high heat. Season chicken with garlic powder and ground ginger. Stir and cook chicken until no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking, combine peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sriracha in a small bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined. Divide in half.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add half of peanut sauce and heat for another 2 minutes. Set aside off heat.
- In four bowls, divide and layer ingredients, starting with brown rice on the bottom. Top with chicken, cabbage, carrots, pepper, pineapple, and edamame. Drizzle remaining peanut sauce over four bowls. Top bowls evenly with sesame seeds.
This bowl is a complete, balanced meal on it’s own with protein, grains, and veggies! Make this part of your meal prep and have lunches ready for the whole week. Check out our other grain bowl recipe, Spicy tuna bowl!
NOURISHING NUTRITION (per serving)
Fat (g): 12
Sodium (mg): 466
Protein (g): 42
Carbs (g): 41
Fiber (g): 7