by Lisa Kay, MS, RD
10 Servings (about 1 cup)
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-15oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1-15oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
2-15oz. cans white beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 tbsp olive oil
2-15oz. cans low-sodium tomato sauce
1-6oz. small can low-sodium tomato paste
1-15oz. can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water in a medium pot on medium heat. Stir occasionally. Quinoa will be ready when all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooking, bring a large pot to medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions, garlic and black pepper and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add canned beans and corn to onions and garlic to pot. Add cumin and chili powder, stir.
- Next add tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes to the large pot,stir.
- When quinoa is cooked, stir into pot.
- Let simmer on medium-low heat.
- After 20 minutes, give one final stir and serve.
Top with a dollop of sour cream, green onion, sliced avocado or shredded cheese.
NOURISHING NUTRITION (per serving)
Calorie: 274 Fat (g): 4 Sodium (mg): 305 Protein (g): 13 Carbs (g): 48 Fiber (g): 129