The first time I tried a bagel melt, I fell in love with the flavors of veggies, lean protein and melted cheese piled high on an open faced bagel. What a fantastic idea! It was at a cute little cafe in Virginia Beach with Lisa, another dietitian of Nourished NCE, and one of my best friends. I instantly knew I wanted to recreate it with my own twist for the blog, so I could eat it again and you could try it at home too! At the restaurant they serve it for breakfast and lunch, but my bagel melts are perfect for dinner too!
My bagel melt starts with a smoky chipotle seasoned chicken, mixed with creamy avocado cubes, juicy tomatoes and flavorful red onions. Topped with melted cheese, these bagel melts pack an explosion of delicious southwest inspired flavors. Similar recipes might be made with mayo or cream cheese, instead I used avocados to provide a source of healthy fats. The whole wheat bagel bumps up the fiber and nutrients. By using a seasoning like Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend for lots of flavor without the added salt, it helps lower the sodium content of this entire dish.
Southwest Chicken Bagel Melts
By Jennifer Adsit, RD
Makes 4 servings
2 whole wheat bagels
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chipotle seasoning (Try Mrs. Dash® Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend)
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
½ red onion
1 medium tomato
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and rub the chipotle seasoning on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel and cube the avocado, and dice the onion and tomato into even sized pieces.
- Slice the bagels in half and place on baking sheet.
- Roughly chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and mix with the diced vegetables.
- Place mixture on top of the bagels and top each mini melt with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes and serve.
NOURISHING NUTRITION (per serving)
Total Fat (g): 18
Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 3
Monounsaturated Fat (g): 9
Saturated Fat (g): 5
Sodium (mg): 556
Protein (g): 23
Carbs (g): 31
Fiber (g): 5
These bagel melts pair nicely with a side salad.